February 27, 2010

A national treasure

Late last year, I accompanied a few friends to the State Theater in Downtown Minneapolis for a live taping of Garrison Keillor's radio show, A Prairie Home Companion. Since we didn't have a sitter for Claire, Linda stayed home and let me partake in all the fun, which included drinks before, during and after the show... concluding with dinner at the Salsa a La Salsa Mexican Grill. As our friend Kermit likes to say, "Garrison Keillor is a national treasure." Prior to attending this show, I wasn't quite sure Kermit knew what he was talking about because he's typically full of sh!t, and I firmly believe he'd agree with this assessment; otherwise, I wouldn't take the chance writing it and offending him. We love us some Kermit - he's a local treasure - which is why he's a frequent target of my (so-called) witticisms on this blog. Anyway, I always thought A Prairie Home Companion was boring but, admittedly, I never actually listened to it on the radio before attending this live performance. However, my view has since changed. I thoroughly enjoyed the show and have a new found respect for Garrison Keillor's writing and the talent of the show performers. In fact, I like to say "Garrison Keillor is a national treasure." And remember, you heard it hear first.

Speaking of hearing stuff, here's a clip of a song about a stay-at-home dad written and performed by Garrison Keillor for his January 9, 2010, show. Based on some of my own experiences, it's a fairly accurate tune.

4 comments:

Anonymous 10:48 PM  

Did you catch today's show?
Aunt Karen

Bogart 8:09 AM  

Nope... missed it. I usually only catch it when I'm driving to or from somewhere.

eyesofbabes 3:51 PM  

I listen almost every weekend. I hope to see a live show one day.

Bogart 4:51 PM  

It's a wonderful experience, and I highly recommend it to all!

DadTrends - Best of the Dad-O-Sphere
blogarama - the blog directory

Support my dawgs!

Here's where I put stuff I support...
The Animal Rescue Site

About This Blog

Commentary from a stay-at-home dad on daily happenings and misadventures while helping raise a wonderful little girl. The goal is to employ wit, sarcasm and/or humor to make the blog pseudo-entertaining. Then again, setting goals never really worked for me, but maybe you'll chuckle anyway.

OUR FAMILY - Provides a brief bio on each family member.

THE SAHD CLUB - A rip-off of the letter written by the kids from the 1980's blockbuster hit, The Breakfast Club.

THE DOG DISH - Here you'll find the occasional rant or story written from a dog's point of view.

COMEDY - Here you'll find stuff I think is funny, typically video clips, cartoons or jokes.

LINKS - Just what the name implies.

PAW-LITICS - More rants, typically directed at despicable politicians with whom I disagree.

VIDEO VAULT - Home videos of Claire set to some of our favorite songs.

BUY STUFF - My online store (that is if I ever actually create one).

Fellow travelers

Who's stalking me now?

Site Meter

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP