March 17, 2010

Kiss me I'm... Scottish?

Happy St. Patrick's Day! We decided to celebrate a day early around here, so last night Linda went to Happy Hour with some friends while Claire and I dined on Reuben sandwiches and drank pints of frothy, creamy, white Guinness (aka "milk"). Later on, I took part in my annual St. Patty's Day tradition - started back in my Pierre days - by sleeping fully clothed and face down on the bathroom floor with my arms wrapped around the toilet. I did, however, skip the stage where I drink about 24 beers and several shots of Jameson Irish Whiskey at Bob's Lounge before staggering aimlessly around downtown Pierre only to eventually be picked up by my favorite cabdriver, Rudy, who then gives me a ride home for a fare of just four dollars. Good times...

Last night I told Claire she had to wear green to preschool today, so this morning I found her in her bedroom putting on the only green shirt she owns - what she refers to as her "puppy dog shirt" - which was a gift from her Great Aunt Florence last year. We Stewarts are Scots-Irish, and there's even a Stewart plaid. But since we're more Scottish than Irish, I didn't go overboard and dress Claire up like a little leprechaun. Now all this talk of ancestry might get some in Linda's family a little fired up since they insist upon saying Claire is "a little Schaefbauer" because Linda's dad's cousins are Schaefbauers. But Claire's great grandma was a Fitzgerald.  There's even a Fitzgerald Potato Salad, which I believe clearly trumps the entire Schaefbauer Family Cookbook. Then again, I try to avoid this potato salad at all cost. So far, it's been about 20 years since I was last forced to eat it, but there's a Stewart Family Reunion in June, so I'm fearful a bowl of it will materialize - and it will likely be the leftovers from the last reunion 20 years ago.  But for today, Claire's 100% Scots-Irish... just like another famous American, Senator John McCain. On second thought, that whole "Schaefbauer" thing isn't looking too bad right about now.

2 comments:

Brad and Hailey 7:11 AM  

What a cute puppy shirt!

Anonymous 11:10 AM  

Aunt Florence would be proud.
KT

DadTrends - Best of the Dad-O-Sphere
blogarama - the blog directory

Support my dawgs!

Here's where I put stuff I support...
The Animal Rescue Site

About This Blog

Commentary from a stay-at-home dad on daily happenings and misadventures while helping raise a wonderful little girl. The goal is to employ wit, sarcasm and/or humor to make the blog pseudo-entertaining. Then again, setting goals never really worked for me, but maybe you'll chuckle anyway.

OUR FAMILY - Provides a brief bio on each family member.

THE SAHD CLUB - A rip-off of the letter written by the kids from the 1980's blockbuster hit, The Breakfast Club.

THE DOG DISH - Here you'll find the occasional rant or story written from a dog's point of view.

COMEDY - Here you'll find stuff I think is funny, typically video clips, cartoons or jokes.

LINKS - Just what the name implies.

PAW-LITICS - More rants, typically directed at despicable politicians with whom I disagree.

VIDEO VAULT - Home videos of Claire set to some of our favorite songs.

BUY STUFF - My online store (that is if I ever actually create one).

Fellow travelers

Who's stalking me now?

Site Meter

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP