May 13, 2010

May I see your papers, please?

An invasion is heading our way - to Chaska, that is. They're coming packed in a minivan... a swagger wagon, if you will. But in this case, a crazy train is more apropos. You'll know them by their strange accent, and they'll reek of tamales. No - seriously. They're bringing tamales. The tallest one has a distinctive laugh, not to mention an odd smell that tells you he's approaching. The short ones are the cutest - the smaller of the two having inherited her father's ability to emit sulfurous compounds to alert you of an impending posterior explosion. The two adult females are known to howl at the moon until the wee hours of the morning, then blame it on the tequila or Three Buck Chuck wine the next day (before doing it all over again the very next night). The sane one was not always so, and I have the pictures to prove it. But now he keeps the rest of his pack in line and is, ironically, now the voice of reason - as well as the first to bed. So who are these invaders I speak of? Well, they are our friends from Fargo (farrrrrr-GOH), who will be arriving Friday evening for a weekend of tom foolery. That is, unless they get stopped at the Minnesota border. Unfortunately, they'll be a man down because Russell - the shrinking violet of the group - will not be making the trip.

As if there's not enough trouble heading our way, our friend Susan is coming from Minneapolis and is bringing her three wet-nosed, hairy beasts to join in the shenanigans. Of course I mean her hubby, Mike (aka Kermit), and their dogs, Berkley and Ole. Here we are at our annual New Years Festivus at some cabin somewhere in northern Minnesota (please note nobody in this photo has given me their approval for posting it):

So, in preparation for the assault on our home, I've been frantically making a list of all sorts of stuff we'll need for this meeting of the minds. Fortunately, I'm able to recycle the same list we always use whenever we all get together: toilet paper, tequila, beer, wine, coffee, trashy magazines, ibuprofen and eggs. 

Plus, Linda's been out of town in Boston or New York City or both. I'm not really sure where she is, but I do recall that she's participating in a roundtable discussion at Harvard University about... something? Her explanation went over my head as soon as she said the word "roundtable" and I started envisioning a bunch of knights sitting around a table eating big turkey legs while their horses are waiting for them outside the castle, which reminds me that I'm deathly afraid of horses because they're so powerful and unpredictable, yet I just love the thrill of watching them run around a dirt track until, finally, all the races are  over and I realize I never won a dime because I kept making stupid trifecta bets, so how am I going to explain to Linda that I need a ride home after drinking too much beer but I can't pay for a cab because I lost all my money? Anyway, she arrives home early Friday evening. 

In the meantime, Claire continues to impersonate Tattoo from the TV show Fantasy Island by pointing at any jet airplane she sees overhead and shouting, "Ze Plane! Ze Plane!" Adding, "Is that Momma's plane?" Regardless of how many times I explain that Momma won't be home until Friday, Claire's still on the look out for airplanes. But she's also been a very energetic sidekick to my role of the enigmatic overseer of our mysterious house somewhere in Chaska, where people from Fargo and Minneapolis can come and live out their dreams... albeit it for a price. Yesterday, Claire helped me make a dessert. I'm posting the recipe, although it's not mine. Regardless, I do very much enjoy the end result.

Margarita Cupcakes
* You can make this as a pie OR as individual cupcakes 

Mix together:
1/2 cup softened margarine
1/4 cup sugar
1-1/4 cups of finely crushed pretzels

Smash mixture into the bottom of a pie pan OR the little cupcake things, then bake at 350 degrees for 5-6 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.

In a bowl, mix together:
14 oz can of sweetened condensed milk
1/3 cup lime juice
2 Tbs tequila (do not use the worm)
2 Tbs triple sec
(optional): one drop green food coloring

Then fold in 2 cups of Cool Whip topping.
After thoroughly mixed, pour onto the pie crust OR in the cupcake things and freeze for about 4 hours. 
Remove from freezer 10 minutes prior to serving.

Claire and I made some non-alcoholic versions by using chocolate syrup instead of the lime juice, tequila and triple sec.

Enjoy!

1 comments:

Anonymous 10:34 PM  

Remind me to give you the Margarita Cheesecake Recipe.
Auntie Karen

DadTrends - Best of the Dad-O-Sphere
blogarama - the blog directory

Support my dawgs!

Here's where I put stuff I support...
The Animal Rescue Site

About This Blog

Commentary from a stay-at-home dad on daily happenings and misadventures while helping raise a wonderful little girl. The goal is to employ wit, sarcasm and/or humor to make the blog pseudo-entertaining. Then again, setting goals never really worked for me, but maybe you'll chuckle anyway.

OUR FAMILY - Provides a brief bio on each family member.

THE SAHD CLUB - A rip-off of the letter written by the kids from the 1980's blockbuster hit, The Breakfast Club.

THE DOG DISH - Here you'll find the occasional rant or story written from a dog's point of view.

COMEDY - Here you'll find stuff I think is funny, typically video clips, cartoons or jokes.

LINKS - Just what the name implies.

PAW-LITICS - More rants, typically directed at despicable politicians with whom I disagree.

VIDEO VAULT - Home videos of Claire set to some of our favorite songs.

BUY STUFF - My online store (that is if I ever actually create one).

Fellow travelers

Who's stalking me now?

Site Meter

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP