March 17, 2011

Gone Mad!

Is there any better time of the year? Seriously. I don't want to get all religious, but March Madness gives meaning to my life. And here I bet you thought I was going to write about the virtues and reverence of green beer. Well, while I do love drinking beer until I'm green in the face, I'll take March Madness over St. Patrick's Day or any other holiday for that matter. As usual, I'm parked on the couch in front of the TV. However, unlike my college days, I'm sipping on a Starbucks Venti Iced Mocha rather than a longneck bottle of Old Milwaukee Light. Of course, I've entered a few NCAA basketball pools, which really hasn't gone well for me since the 1990's (when I actually followed teams and watched college basketball most week nights and Saturday afternoons). But this year, I tried to get Claire involved so she could enter a pool for the chance of adding some cash to her piggy bank.

So last night, I sat her at the kitchen table with a bracket printed out. I started by asking her, "Okay, Claire... who will win between Duke and Hampton?" to which she replied, "Hampton!" Then I asked, "Who will win between Michigan and Tennessee?" She answered, "Tennessee!" I asked, "What about Arizona and Memphis?" And she'd say, "Memphis!" This continued for a short while before I realized she was only repeating the name of the second school in each match-up. So I decided on a different strategy and would let Claire choose between the mascot names. Well, since Claire is a big fan of animals (or as she likes to say, "aminals"), our little prognosticator has determined that any team with a bear, dog, cat or bird mascot is going to do quite well in the NCAA Tournament - and Claire REALLY likes the Cincinnati Bearcats... too bad there's no such thing as a Bearcat Birdhound mascot.

But Claire's favorite team - and her pick to win The Big Dance - is the University of Richmond. And why? Well, according to Claire, the Richmond Spiders is by far the funniest team name (sorry University of Akron Zips). So if you don't have Richmond going far in your office pool, then you might as well throw away your brackets and look forward to next year's tournament.
 

3 comments:

Unknown 7:45 PM  

Let's go Spiders...let's go Spiders...let's go Spiders.

S

PI

DERS

What's that spell?!

SPIDERS!!! GooooOOOOO TEAM!

Go Claire, go Claire, it's your birthday...

Thanks for bloggin', Stew.

ehan 6:45 AM  

Wow awesome post

Telepathy, Clairvoyance, Spirit Encounters, Channeling, Inspirational Memoirs, Healing

Amarjeet 8:01 AM  

thank you very much for the post..

maltese puppies for sale
golden retriever puppies for sale

DadTrends - Best of the Dad-O-Sphere
blogarama - the blog directory

Support my dawgs!

Here's where I put stuff I support...
The Animal Rescue Site

About This Blog

Commentary from a stay-at-home dad on daily happenings and misadventures while helping raise a wonderful little girl. The goal is to employ wit, sarcasm and/or humor to make the blog pseudo-entertaining. Then again, setting goals never really worked for me, but maybe you'll chuckle anyway.

OUR FAMILY - Provides a brief bio on each family member.

THE SAHD CLUB - A rip-off of the letter written by the kids from the 1980's blockbuster hit, The Breakfast Club.

THE DOG DISH - Here you'll find the occasional rant or story written from a dog's point of view.

COMEDY - Here you'll find stuff I think is funny, typically video clips, cartoons or jokes.

LINKS - Just what the name implies.

PAW-LITICS - More rants, typically directed at despicable politicians with whom I disagree.

VIDEO VAULT - Home videos of Claire set to some of our favorite songs.

BUY STUFF - My online store (that is if I ever actually create one).

Fellow travelers

Who's stalking me now?

Site Meter

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP