May 02, 2007

It is a rough road that leads to the heights of greatness.

I'm still quite proud (and totally amazed) that Stew ran a 10K with Momma. I'm not surprised Momma ran it, and she will be back in her prime running form soon... she has the Twin Cities' Marathon later this year - yikes!

But, it appears Momma and Stew are not the only athletes in my family. Uncle Brad (the self-appointed StewRat) recently completed two bike races in Florida: 1) The Bike Across Florida (a 150-mile trip), and 2) the Tour de Forts 2007 (a 75-mile race). Here's a picture of Uncle Brad going slightly off course at the Castillo de San Marcos Fort in St. Augustine, FL (site of the Tour de Forts). Despite this mishap, Brad still managed to finish the race. So, I send a high-paw to Uncle Brad in Florida!


In other sporting news, Uncle Matthew "Mattie" Myrold took 2nd Place in the 2007 Mandan Mountain Jam disc golf tournament last weekend. Not only does success at disc golf involve amazing stamina walking from hole to hole, but also a great deal of skill to fling your disc into the bucket (or to locate your errant disc under a pile of tree branches and leaves after you fling it into the forest). It's a great sport for those seeking a leisure activity without a lot of danger. Then again, one of the last times Stew played a round of golf with Uncle's Matt, Pete, Kermit and Russell, Stew ended up in the emergency room receiving four stitches to close the laceration above his eye caused by a (deliberate) disc to the noggin (thrown by Kermit). Anyway, a high-paw to Uncle Mattie. Well done, lad!

Here's a little something to give us all inspiration for whatever it is we want to accomplish - be it destroying the household vacuum cleaner, training for a marathon, or writing your first book...

It's lack of faith that makes people afraid of meeting challenges, and I believed in myself.
- Muhammad Ali

The principle is competing against yourself. It's about self-improvement, about being better than you were the day before.
- Steve Young

The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
- Vince Lombardi

You are never a loser until you quit trying.
- Mike Ditka

I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.
- Michael Jordan

Never let your head hang down. Never give up and sit down and grieve. Find another way.
- Satchel Paige

If you aren't going all the way, why go at all?
- Joe Namath

It ain't what you eat but how you chew it.
- Delbert McClinton

If you chase two squirrels at the same time, both will surely escape.
- Bogart Stewart

0 comments:

DadTrends - Best of the Dad-O-Sphere
blogarama - the blog directory

Support my dawgs!

Here's where I put stuff I support...
The Animal Rescue Site

About This Blog

Commentary from a stay-at-home dad on daily happenings and misadventures while helping raise a wonderful little girl. The goal is to employ wit, sarcasm and/or humor to make the blog pseudo-entertaining. Then again, setting goals never really worked for me, but maybe you'll chuckle anyway.

OUR FAMILY - Provides a brief bio on each family member.

THE SAHD CLUB - A rip-off of the letter written by the kids from the 1980's blockbuster hit, The Breakfast Club.

THE DOG DISH - Here you'll find the occasional rant or story written from a dog's point of view.

COMEDY - Here you'll find stuff I think is funny, typically video clips, cartoons or jokes.

LINKS - Just what the name implies.

PAW-LITICS - More rants, typically directed at despicable politicians with whom I disagree.

VIDEO VAULT - Home videos of Claire set to some of our favorite songs.

BUY STUFF - My online store (that is if I ever actually create one).

Fellow travelers

Who's stalking me now?

Site Meter

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP