August 08, 2008

The Peter Karl Invitational - 2008 Edition

This weekend, Momma, Claire and Stew are off to luxurious Waubun, MinneSOOOta. Waubun, a community of about 400 people and 52 dogs, is a town in Mahnomen County "up north". The community name derives from the Ojibway Tribe term for "morning" or "east". The latitude of Waubun is 47.180N, and the longitude is -95.938W. It's in the Central Standard time zone, and it's (current) elevation is 1,240 feet above sea level. And, as can be seen on the attached graph, the average snowfall level for August is zero... zilch... notta. Waubun is home to John and Diana Karl and the Peter Karl Invitational -- a lawn golf, disc golf and croquet tournament that is not for the timid (and did I mention there's usually beer involved?). When I think Peter Karl Invitational, I envision Bobby Kennedy chasing his older brother, Jack, across the south lawn of the Kennedy Compound in The Hamptons during a touch football game being played on a warm summer afternoon in the 1950's. But then I'm jolted awake by reality and the image to the left pops into my head. I'm told Uncle Matt has finally trimmed his mullet, Uncle Kermit recently bought a new v-neck t-shirt that is not yet soiled with pork-n-beans juice stains, Uncle Russell was told to wear pants at all times, Uncle Peter has promised to use the indoor bathroom this year (rather than the flower pot next to the patio), and all the "ladies" are required to wear a bra (or tube top) - no exceptions! But all these new rules still don't bring me much comfort. Cue the banjo music...

Anyway, I'm not attending the Peter Karl Invitational this year. Instead, I'm chillin' with my boy, Remmy, at Aunt Dee's (Rosemount) doghouse. I love it here because nobody forgets to feed me, plus I get to play with my favorite black lab buddy. In fact, Remmy's helping me type this post since there's not an opposable thumb between us. But did I mention Sammy the Cat is also here? There's not much I can do about since I'm actually a guest here and, as you can see, he's quite handsome. I like to annoy Sammy by refusing to "flush" after I use his bathroom. He is not amused. Have a nice weekend, y'all!

1 comments:

Anonymous 4:55 PM  

You know, us trailer park folks have our own blogs...
http://www.zgeek.com/trailerparkpage/

DadTrends - Best of the Dad-O-Sphere
blogarama - the blog directory

Support my dawgs!

Here's where I put stuff I support...
The Animal Rescue Site

About This Blog

Commentary from a stay-at-home dad on daily happenings and misadventures while helping raise a wonderful little girl. The goal is to employ wit, sarcasm and/or humor to make the blog pseudo-entertaining. Then again, setting goals never really worked for me, but maybe you'll chuckle anyway.

OUR FAMILY - Provides a brief bio on each family member.

THE SAHD CLUB - A rip-off of the letter written by the kids from the 1980's blockbuster hit, The Breakfast Club.

THE DOG DISH - Here you'll find the occasional rant or story written from a dog's point of view.

COMEDY - Here you'll find stuff I think is funny, typically video clips, cartoons or jokes.

LINKS - Just what the name implies.

PAW-LITICS - More rants, typically directed at despicable politicians with whom I disagree.

VIDEO VAULT - Home videos of Claire set to some of our favorite songs.

BUY STUFF - My online store (that is if I ever actually create one).

Fellow travelers

Who's stalking me now?

Site Meter

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP